Monday, December 3, 2007

Web 2.0 awards

Even just looking through the finalists was quite a chore: What to choose? I was just like a kid in a lolly shop. Glad to see some familiar names e.g Flickr; De.lici.ous; Facebook; Technorati. I was intrigued to notice that the Word Processing award went to Google docs rather than Zoho (after all, it was only using Google that I managed to successfully load a document onto my blog). I took a look at Upcoming (the Events sites winnner) It needed a Yahoo login, and it was basically a site where you could find information on upcoming events. It had a calendar and to enter a date and the ability to search by region. This would be a great way to advertise library events to a wider audience. Surfed through some of the events already listed on the New Zealand region, but this must be a fairly new site, (and mainly American) and not much was listed for Christmas/New Year, even though there must be lots of things happening. I attempted to create a "badge" to appear on my blog but the technology didn't seem to load. I also had a look at Cocktailbuilder (winner of Fun Stuff) Not so much use to libraries, but quite timely as it's coming up to the festive season to know what cocktail you can make with the supplies on hand e.g if you have gin did you know that all you need is root bear to create an earthquake? Here's the recipe I found:

earthquake

2 ingredients

1 - 3 oz of gin
root beer

in a tall glass with ice, mix the two based on how strong you want or need it to be. be careful not to break the richter scale.



I also looked at Google Maps (winner of the Mapping section) and located a map of Tauranga showing the motel where I had stayed during my recent holiday. (Bother; link which I had planned to show does not appear.) Quite intrigued that you can have various views: map, terrain and satellite. Satellite shows wonderful aerial shots, as if you were in a helicopter.

1 comment:

Arvind said...

Crystal : Thanks for trying out Zoho. Sorry about the issue you faced while posting to your blog. May be you can try posting again following the steps given in this blog post here.

Do write to us at feedback@zohowriter.com if you face any issues.

Arvind
http://zoho.com